Bujinkan Dai Shihan Kostas Kanakis is involved for more than 40 years in Asian Martial Arts, Asian and Western Healing Arts.
In all those years he was involved in many different martial arts also in studying and examine parallel their spiritual, historical and cultural foundations. Below follows a short martial arts biography:
- He was born in 1962 in Crete / Greece. When he was 5 years old he migrated with his parents to Germany.
- When he was 14 years old (1976) he started with the training in different arts e.g. Judo, Karate, Aikido.
- In 1983 he made his first steps in Ninjutsu, with Steffen Fröhlich and later with Sulvain Guintard (France).
Later, in 1986 he met Sveneric Bogsäter who also became his teacher.
From then on he attended intensive the teachings of his teacher Shihan Sveneric Bogsäter until 2000, when he returned back to his country.
- From and after the first European Tai Kai with Soke Hatsumi in 1987, he has visited numerous Tai Kai all over the world and multiple
- In August 1989 he opened his first Bujinkan Kanakis Dojo (BKD) Dojo and today he leads the European BKD Budokai, which is an alliance from various schools from Greece, Germany, Austria, Egypt.
- In May 1992 he passed successfully the Sakki Test.
- Since then he pass on his knowledge to his students, but also to any other interested people, through regular seminars.
- From 1995 he is involved in writing on different articles and books.
- In 1996 he published his first book (in German) about Ninjutsu titled „Ninjutsu -Kokoro no Michi- Der Weg des Herzens, VOL. 1.“, based on the basic techniques of Ninjutsu. This book exists now only as PDF file on CD ROM (in German language).
- The second book of this series titled „Ninjutsu - The way of the heart - Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, Vol. 2, - Shin΄Ô no Kihon Waza-“ (in German and English), has been published from the German publishing company Kristkeitz Verlag.
His previous work in over 26 years, had a significant positive influence to getting of negative image of Ninjutsu in the public opinion and thus he helped, that Ninjutsu became more popular, over the years.
Through his extensive work in Europe, he had a maximum influence in spreading the art of Ninjutsu and he is regarded as a pioneer of Ninjutsu in Germany and at extension in Europe.
- in August 2000 he returned back to Greece, where he opened the first Bujinkan Dojo in Crete.
Since then the name of the Bujinkan is established also in Crete and with this is whole Greece, as he founded the Bujinkan Greece Budokai which is composed from schools in Heraklion, Athens, Thessaloniki and Trikala. In Heraklion is the head office (Honbu Dojo) of the Bujinkan Dojo Greece Budokai.
- The tasks of Shihan Kostas Kanakis belongs not only in the consecutive development of the Bujinkan in Greece but also in the active supporting work for the development of the Bujinkan in whole Europe, through the European BKD Budokai, which he leads.
- Until today he continues traveling to Japan (twice in a year) in order to train directly with Grandmaster Hatsumi and his Japanese students.
- In the year 2002, Grandmaster Hatsumi awarded him the degree of Judan (10th Dan) Bujinkan Budo.
- In 2006, he founded the I.W.T.T.O. (International Weapons & Tactics Training Organization), and thus he made, the training of Security Specialists, Police and Military Staff as well as Bodyguards, at home and abroad, to his additional task.
- In the year 2007, Grandmaster Hatsumi Masaaki awarded him the degree of Judan Kugyo (15th Dan) Bujinkan Budo, and thus he belongs today to the high-graduated teachers of the Bujinkan worldwide.
- Ιn the year 2010, Shihan Kostas Kanakis got the authorization by Soke Hatsumi, to carry out the Sakki Test or also known as Godan Test, outside of Japan and is the the first Greek Shihan who got this authorization from Soke Hatsumi!
- In 2013, he founded the I.S.P. Group International (Integrated Security & Protection Group International), a cooperative Group in the field of Security Training and Services.
- In the year 2016 Shihan Kostas Kanakis got awarded with the Bujinkan Yūshū Shihan (優秀師範)
- In the year 2018 Shihna Kostas Kanakis got awarded with the Bujinkan Dai Shihan (大師範)